Veggie Patch Tofu Pie
Makes 6 Servings
- One 16-ounce package firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- One 6-ounce bag baby spinach (4 cups)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded (about ½ cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Drain the tofu in a colander. Place on a cutting board and cut into four 1-inch-thick slices. Pat dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
2. Lightly oil or coat a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Raise the heat to medium-high, add the spinach and carrot, and cook, stirring frequently, until the spinach wilts and the carrot is tender, about 5 minutes. Place on a cutting board and coarsely chop.
4. Meanwhile, place the tofu, eggs, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the Cheddar cheese and the cooked vegetables.
5. Pour the mixture evenly into the prepared pie plate and bake until golden, about 35 minutes. Let stand about 5 minutes so the pie is easier to slice.