Makes 4 Servings
- One 15 1/2-ounce can canellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 3/4 cup preshredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup dried bread crumbs, divided
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup light canola mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 cup pasta sauce, warmed
- Mash the beans in a large bowl using a potato masher or the back of a large fork or spoon until smooth but still a bit chunky. Add the corn, cheese, 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs, egg, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste and mix well to combine.
- Shape the mixture into eight 1/2-inch thick patties and coat with the remaining bread crumbs. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the patties until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
- Serve with warm pasta sauce for dipping.