Perfect Parsnip Fries
Makes 4 Servings
- One 1-pound bag parsnips
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Peel the parsnips and trim the tops and bottoms. Slice each in half crosswise to separate the thick end and the narrow end. Cut the narrow piece in half lengthwise and the thick piece in quarters. Each “fry” will be about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long and 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick.
- Place the parsnip pieces in a bowl and toss with the oil, salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Spread in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, turn each parsnip with a fork or tongs (this will allow even baking), place back in the oven and bake until golden brown and tender, an additional 10 minutes.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.