Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Makes 12 Muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ or ground flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup 1% lowfat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil or coat 12 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine the bananas, eggs, sugar, oil, milk, and vanilla in a medium bowl and stir until well blended. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Bake about 20 minutes, or until the muffins are light golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes. Remove the muffins and cool an additional 5 minutes before serving. To make 24 mini muffins, bake about 14 minutes.