Apple Butterscotch Squares
Makes 20 servings
- 2 large Golden Delicious apples
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed or wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup butterscotch chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil or coat a 9 X 13-inch baking pan or dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Cut the unpeeled apples into quarters, core them, and shred on the large holes of a box grater (the yield will be about 2 cups). Set aside.
- Whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, flaxseed, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, applesauce, and oil until well blended. Stir in the apples.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Stir in the butterscotch chips.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared baking pan, and bake about 35 minutes, or until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack and cut into 2¼ x2½-inch pieces.
Nutrition Information per Serving (1 piece): 170 calories, 8g fat (1.5g saturated, .8g omega-3), 120mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 3g protein
This is a No Whine with Dinner recipe!