Tuscan Minestrone Soup
Makes 6 Servings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini (about 9 ounces), unpeeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- One 32-ounce carton all-natural chicken broth
- One 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- One 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup dried whole wheat blend elbow pasta
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Fresh basil, cut into strips, optional
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, carrot, onion, garlic, and Italian seasoning and cook, stirring frequently until the vegetables start soften, about 12 minutes. Reduce the heat if the vegetables brown too quickly.
- Stir in the broth and tomato sauce, cover, raise the heat, and bring to a boil. Add the beans, pasta, and thyme, reduce the heat and cook at a low boil, uncovered, until the pasta is done, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the thyme sprigs, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve in individual bowls and top with the Parmesan cheese and basil as desired.
Nutrition Information per Serving (1 cup): 160 calories, 7g fat (0.5g saturated), 730mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 9g protein, 60% vitamin A, 50% vitamin C, 10% iron
This is a No Whine with Dinner recipe!