Shane’s Fabulous Lentil Soup
Makes 8 Cups / 6 to 8 Servings
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/8-inch half moons
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh winter or summer savory, optional
- 6 cups water or all-natural vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups green or brown lentils
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced into ½-inch pieces
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Heat the oil in the pressure cooker over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the carrots and sauté for another minute. Add the bay leaves, thyme, savory as desired, water or broth, lentils, and potato. Stir well.
- Lock the lid in place on the cooker and bring the mixture to a boil over high heat until you achieve high pressure. Reduce the heat to maintain pressure for 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the pressure come down naturally. Remove the lid, tilting it away from you. Remove the bay leaves and thyme stems, and add salt and pepper to taste. Top with grated Parmesan as desired.
Nutrition Information per Serving: 240 calories, 3g fat (0g saturated), 190mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate, 10g fiber, 13g protein, 70% vitamin A, 15% vitamin C, 20% iron
Note: you may add corn kernels when you remove the pressure cooker lid. Remember that this soup is hotter than any soup that you make on the stove so let it cool accordingly.
Recipe adapted from The Veggie Queen, Jill Nussinow, MS, RD ©2008