Carroty Lentil Soup with Bacon
Makes 8 Servings
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- One 32-ounce carton all-natural chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- One 1-pound bag dried lentils, cleaned and rinsed
- One 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 slices cooked all-natural bacon, crumbled
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add the broth, water, lentils, tomato sauce, bay leaf, thyme, and black pepper and stir to combine. Bring to a boil then cover, reduce heat, and simmer until the lentils are tender, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf, stir in the bacon, and season with salt and additional pepper to taste. Serve in individual bowls and top with Parmesan cheese.