Polynesian Shrimp Tacos
Makes 6 Servings
- 12 taco shells
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound frozen small cooked shrimp, thawed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1½ cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- One 8-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Optional Toppings: diced avocado, chopped tomato, light sour cream, shredded lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the taco shells according to package directions and set aside.
- While the shells are baking, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder and cook until the shrimp are warmed through, about 1 minute (if using fresh shrimp, cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes).
- Stir in the beans, corn, pineapple, and salsa and heat through, about 2 minutes. Add the cheese and heat until melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a slotted spoon to remove any excess liquid, place a generous 1/2 cup of the shrimp mixture into each taco shell. Serve with optional toppings.
Tip: Use a soft flour tortilla if your children find hard taco shells difficult to bite into.
Nutrition Information per Serving (2 tacos): 380 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated, 0.5g omega-3), 540mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 27g protein, 10% vitamin A, 15% vitamin C, 20% calcium, 20% iron
This is a No Whine with Dinner Recipe!