One-Pot Pasta & Beef Dinner
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 1½ cups)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% or higher)
- One 26-ounce jar pasta sauce (we like Light Ragu Tomato & Basil)
- 2 cups water
- 8 ounces dried whole wheat blend rotini (we like Barilla Plus)
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the meat and cook, breaking up the large pieces, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain excess fat.
- Stir in the pasta sauce and water, raise the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Stir in the pasta and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook at a low boil, covered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the mozzarella cheese. Cover and let stand until the cheese melts. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese as desired.
Nutrition Information per Serving: 410 calories, 12g fat (4.5g saturated, 0.3g omega-3), 570mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 32g protein, 40% vitamin A, 100% vitamin C, 20% calcium, 20% iron
This is a No Whine with Dinner recipe!