Post-Season Pesto Pizza
Makes 10 to 12 Servings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ to 2 pounds onions
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- One 6-ounce bag baby spinach
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup prepared basil pesto
- Two 12-inch pre-made, thin pizza crusts (we use Boboli)
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, baked and thinly sliced widthwise *
- 8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese slices
- Peel the onions, cut in half lengthwise, and slice into very thin, 1/8-inch half-moons.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until caramelized (they’ll be very soft and golden brown), about 30 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and spinach and cook until the spinach wilts, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, spread the pesto evenly over the two pizza crusts. Top evenly with the onion mixture. Arrange the chicken over the onion mixture; then place the cheese slices evenly on top.
- Bake according to package directions until the cheese melts, 8 to 10 minutes. Slice and serve.
* To bake the chicken, place in a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Bake at 350ºF until the chicken is no longer pink, 35 minutes.