Makes 6 Servings
- One 12-ounce package whole wheat or oat bran English muffins (6 muffins)
- 12 ounces lean ground beef (90% lean or higher)
- 1 large red or orange bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or Italian seasoning
- 1 cup pasta sauce
- 1 1/2 cups preshredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Slice the English muffins in half and place on a baking sheet. Toast lightly in the oven if desired. Set aside.
- Place the beef, bell pepper, and oregano in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and cook, breaking up the large pieces, until the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain excess fat. Add the pasta sauce and mix well.
- To assemble the pizzas, top each muffin half with a 12th of the meat mixture. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top of each. Bake until the cheese melts, 5 to 7 minutes.