Bowtie Pasta with Salmon & Peas
Makes 4 Servings
- 8 ounces dried bowtie pasta
- 1 cooked salmon steak (6 to 8 ounces), flaked or one 6-ounce can boneless, skinless pink salmon
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 1% lowfat milk
- 1/2 cup all-natural chicken broth
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to the pan.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the canola oil and butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat until the butter melts. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, whisking constantly. Whisk the milk and broth slowly into the flour mixture. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and continue to simmer and stir gently until the mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the cheese, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the salmon and peas in with the pasta. Pour the cheese sauce on top, heat through, and serve.