Makes 6 Servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean or higher)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded (about 1 cup)
- 12 taco shells
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Optional Toppings: Diced avocado, diced tomato, shredded lettuce, light sour cream, sliced black olives
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meat and carrot and cook, breaking up the large pieces, until the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain excess fat.
- While the meat is cooking, bake the taco shells according to package directions.
- When the meat is done, add the beans, cheese, salsa, cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder and stir to combine. Cook until the cheese melts and the mixture is heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve in the taco shells with optional toppings.
Tip: Use a soft flour tortilla if your children find hard taco shells difficult to bite into.