Crushed Tortilla Chip Casserole
Makes 8 Servings
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey or chicken
- 1½ cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- One 15-ounce can refried beans
- One 15-ounce can all-natural enchilada sauce (we like mild)
- One 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 3 cups coarsely crushed corn tortilla chips, divided (8 ounces)
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to35o°F. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional 1 minute.
- Add the turkey and cook, breaking up the large pieces, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain excess fat.
- Stir in the corn kernels, refried beans, enchilada sauce, and tomato sauce until well combined (use a whisk or spoon to get all the ingredients well blended).
- Spread 1 cup of the crushed tortilla chips in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan or dish. Arrange the meat mixture over the chips. Top evenly with the grated cheese and the remaining crushed chips.
- Bake, uncovered, until the cheese melts and the casserole is heated through, about 15 minutes.
Nutritional Information per Serving: 370 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated), 540mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate, 9g fiber, 23g protein, 15% calcium, 10% iron
This is a No Whine with Dinner recipe!