Lean Mean Cheeseburger
Makes 4 Servings
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 1 pound ground beef (93% lean or 95% lean)
- 1/2 teaspoon steak seasoning blend Montreal steak seasoning
- 4 seeded or whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 4 slices lowfat cheese, such as Cheddar or American
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Tomato slices, optional
- Place the oats in food-safe plastic bag. Seal bag securely, squeezing out excess air. Roll over bag with rolling pin to crush oats to a fine consistency.
- Combine the ground beef, oats, and steak seasoning blend in a large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into four 1/2-inch patties.
- Place patties on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, uncovered, 11 to 13 minutes to medium (160°F) doneness, until no longer pink in center and juices show no pink color, turning occasionally.
- Line the bottom of each bun with lettuce and tomato, as desired. Top with the burger and cheese slice. Close sandwiches.