Spooky Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
Makes 16 Servings
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa, sifted
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed or wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- One 15-ounce can pure pumpkin
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- One 8-ounce carton lowfat vanilla yogurt, 1 cup
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup currants
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 12-cup bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, wheat germ, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, salt, cloves, and nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl, combine the pumpkin, eggs, yogurt, canola oil, and vanilla and stir until well blended.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Stir in the currants.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan. Bake about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan for about 15 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from the pan and cool completely on the wire rack.
- Dust the top of the cake with confectioners sugar if desired. Garnish with a mini pumpkin in the middle and serve with vanilla lowfat frozen yogurt if desired.