Simply Delicious Shepherd’s Pie
Makes 8 Servings
- 1½ pounds lean ground beef (90% lean or higher)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- One 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- One 14½-ounce can ready-to-serve all-natural tomato soup
- 1½ cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly oil or coat a 9 x 13-inch baking pan or dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Place a large Dutch oven or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef, carrots, garlic powder, and onion powder and cook, breaking up the large pieces, until the meat is no longer pink and the carrots are tender, about 5 minutes. Drain excess fat.
- Stir in the beans, tomato soup, cheese, and corn. Simmer until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange the meat mixture evenly in the prepared pan. Spread the mashed potatoes evenly on top, and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake until the meat mixture starts to bubble and the potatoes are heated through, about 15 minutes. Turn the oven to broil and broil until the top turns golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes.
Nutrition Information per Serving: 370 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated), 520mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 30g protein, 90% vitamin A, 45% vitamin C, 25% calcium, 15% iron
This is a No Whine with Dinner recipe!