“Mom, the House Smells Great” Roasted Chicken
Makes 6 Servings
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil, or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon bottled crushed garlic or 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- One 4- to 5-pound roasting chicken
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the olive oil, lemon zest, basil, rosemary, salt, and garlic in a small bowl and mix well.
- Place the chicken on a work surface or cutting board. Loosen the skin from the chicken breast and drumsticks by inserting your fingers and gently pushing between the skin and meat. Rub the seasoning mixture under the loosened chicken skin. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken, breast side up, on a broiler or roasting pan in the center of the oven. Bake until the chicken turns golden brown and an instant-read meat thermometer registers 180°F, about 1 hour and 20 minutes (18 to 20 minutes per pound).
- Remove and discard the skin. Slice the meat and serve.
Nutrition Information per Serving: 190 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated), 300mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 23g protein, 10% iron
Adapted from The Moms’ Guide to Meal Makeovers