Hearty Cornmeal Apple Pancakes
Makes 5 to 6 Servings (about 18 pancakes)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1¾ cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 small apple, peeled and finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 to 5 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped, optional
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips, optional
- Whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, corn meal, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl until well combined. Set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until blended. Add the apples and stir to combine.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large, nonstick skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Pour the pancake batter on to the hot skillet or griddle using a 1/4-cup measuring cup to form 3½ to 4-inch pancakes. Top with pecans and chips as desired. Adjust the heat if the skillet gets too hot.
- Cook until bubbles begin to appear on the surface of the pancakes and the bottoms turn golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown, an additional 2 minutes. Repeat with the remaining oil, batter, and pecans and chips as desired.