Easy. Nutritious. Family friendly. That’s what this new recipe for Loaf Pan Lasagna has to offer. I’ve been playing around with this recipe all week using various vegetable combinations and finally nailed it with a mixture of mushrooms and carrots … though you could certainly use just about any sauteed veggie: diced bell peppers, spinach, onions, zucchini. The only thing I haven’t found yet is a whole wheat no-boil lasagna noodle. The product is out there — Delallo makes it — but none of my local markets carry it … yet!
Lasagna tends to be time-consuming and a bit fussy. This recipe is simple; layer no-boil noodles in two loaf pans with pasta sauce, part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated Parmesan cheese, sauteed vegetables, and lean ground beef.
My secret flavor-boost ingredient is basil pesto!
There’s nothing meticulous about this recipe. Just layer the ingredients, cover with foil, bake, and you’re done. To keep the fat in check, I used part-skim mozzarella cheese vs. full fat, and I kept the amount of cheese to a minimum … just 6 ounces for the entire recipe.
I used two 8½ x 5-inch loaf pans for this recipe. If you don’t own loaf pans, you can buy the tinfoil pans at any supermarket.
Loaf Pan Lasagna
Makes 2 Loaf Pans (6 Servings)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- One 10-ounce package sliced mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded (or 2 medium carrots)
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean or higher)
- 1 tablespoon basil pesto
- One 26-ounce jar pasta sauce
- 8 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 6 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1½ cups)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and carrot and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms give off liquid and the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the meat and cook, breaking up the large pieces, until the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in the pesto until well combined.
3. To assemble, spread 1/4 cup pasta sauce on the bottom of each of two 8½ x 5-inch loaf pans. Add a no-boil lasagna noodle to each followed by 1/2 cup meat mixture, a scant 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, and 1/4 cup pasta sauce. Repeat two more times with the noodles, meat mixture, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, and pasta sauce. Top with one more noodle in each loaf pan followed by the remaining sauce, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese.
4. Cover loosely with foil and bake 35 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until the cheese melts and the lasagnas are bubbly, about 15 minutes.
Nutrition Information per Serving (1 slice): 350 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated), 650mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 23g protein, 50% vitamin A, 10% vitamin C, 30% calcium, 10% iron