This week, we finished the manuscript for our second cookbook, NO WHINE WITH DINNER: 150 Healthy, Kid-Tested Recipes from The Meal Makeover Moms.
Now we move to phase two: editing, working on the layout and design, and selecting photos of our mom and child recipe testers. We offer a sneak preview of the new book on this week’s Cooking with the Moms and share a recipe from the new book for Cheesy Spinach Bake (read on for the recipe).
NO WHINE WITH DINNER is designed to helps busy parents turn mealtime whines into “wows” with nutritious and delicious recipes kids — and parents — will love. From a survey we conducted last summer of over 500 moms nationwide, we know that the number-one obstacle to getting healthy meals on the table is picky eaters who whine and complain. As registered dietitians, we understand the importance of serving healthy, balanced meals. But as moms ourselves, we also realize that no matter how super-nutritious a meal is, if kids reject it, no one wins. That’s why we wrote the book. And we couldn’t have done it without our amazing network of Facebook fans, blog readers, and podcast listeners … real-life moms who tested — and had their kids taste — every single one of the 150 healthy new recipes in the book.
Mom tester, Jane, snaps a photo of daughters, Vera and Stella as they cook up our recipe for Cheesy Spinach Bake.
Cheesy Spinach Bake
Makes 8 Servings
Frozen spinach rocks: It’s inexpensive, nutritious, and a convenience ingredient you can feel good about. On its own, it’s far from appetizing—and one could argue that from a child’s perspective, it’s kind of gross. But combined with Italian bread crumbs, Cheddar cheese, and grated Parmesan, this simple side dish takes on a flavor and texture that appeal to kids. With 20 percent bone-building calcium in each serving and a boatload of vitamin A, we hope you’ll add these gooey, cheesy spinach bites to your lineup of favorite family sides.
- One 10-ounce box frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or melted butter
- ½ cup Italian style seasoned bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil or coat an 8 x 8-inch baking pan or dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
2. Drain the spinach very well by pressing in a colander with the back of a large spoon and using paper towels to remove excess moisture. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and olive oil until combined. Whisk in the bread crumbs and baking powder. Stir in the spinach, Cheddar cheese, and Parmesan cheese until well combined.
4. Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared pan. Bake until the mixture is set and the top is golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Slice into 2 x 4-inch rectangles and serve. Sprinkle the tops with a few pinches of salt to taste.
Nutrition Information per Serving (1 slice): 120 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated), 340mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 9g protein, 90% vitamin A, 20% calcium
Our mom contributors also shared their best-ever secrets for getting picky eaters (or good eaters) excited about eating a wide array of good-for-you foods.
Valerie, mother of four-year old George from Waipahu, HI offers this advice: “We gave our son his own apron, chef’s hat and bought some age-appropriate kitchen tools. Having him help in the kitchen gets him excited to try his own creations!”
Here’s another helpful tip for Kim, a mother of three from Dexter, MI: “We always pick out a “try it” item when we go to the grocery store. One rule: NO junk food! We have tried star fruit, kefir, and plantains. Each week we pick one new thing and look up what to do with it. My kids are always excited to try it, and as a result, we have added quite a few new foods to our diet.”
NO WHINE WITH DINNER will be available this October, and we can’t wait for all of you to see it. We’ll be hosting a Virtual Book Signing Party this fall … so stay tuned for more information on how you can join the fun.