Quinoa Breakfast Cereal

I don’t know about you, but it’s not too often my children request quinoa … especially for breakfast. But my son, Josh, who recently turned 15 and eats more at lunch than I do in an entire day, is pretty much hooked on a recipe for Quinoa Breakfast Cereal that I discovered in Debra Stark’s new cookbook, Blue Ribbon Edition.

This recipe is packed with high-quality protein and lots of good-for-you calories, so when Josh has it for breakfast, I feel good just knowing he’s starting the day off right. Janice and I promised to share this super-easy recipe with all of you a few weeks back … so here goes!

Quinoa Breakfast Cereal

Makes 3 Servings

• 1 cup quinoa (I rinse it well in a mesh strainer)
  • 2 cups water or milk of any kind
  • 1 apple, diced (about 1 cup)
  • 1 tablespoon coconut flakes
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup almonds or walnuts, ground
  • 1 tablespoon ghee (I used unsalted butter)
  • Sweetener options: Maple syrup, honey, agave, or stevia

1. Combine quinoa and water or milk in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add apple, coconut, cinnamon, nuts, and ghee. Lower heat, cover pot and simmer about 15 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.

2. Serve with the sweetener of your choice. Note from Debra: Try adding raisins, dates, rosewater, cardamom, or whatever variation floats your boat.

Print Recipe

Quinoa is perfect for people following gluten-free diets or for anyone looking to add interesting, fiber-filled, protein-rich grains to their diet. If you have a favorite quinoa recipe, feel free to share!

15 Responses to “Quinoa Breakfast Cereal”

1. What a healthy breakfast! Great idea.

2. What a healthy breakfast! Great idea.

3. Courtney says:

this looks yummy, cant wait to make it!

4. marissa says:

where do you find the quinoa at the grocery store??!

5. hi Liz and Janice, I just had to find a way to get in touch with you and say thank you for all the recipes on your website. I am slowly cooking my way through all of them! Most have passed my kids’ taste test, and with each passing successful recipe I appreciate you and your recipes more and more. Oh, and my husband and I like the dishes as well! Good for the whole family.

Thanks again. :)

6. Jennifer says:

This was so yummy. I had to pare it down a bit – definitely too many calories for me. =) But was able to make a serving perfect for me, sweetened with Splenda, as that was all I had in the house as the time. I’m interested to see if my kids will like this. My daughter loves quinoa!

7. We find quinoa either in the health food or the rice/grain section of the supermarket. When all else fails, ask an employee where it is! Let us know how you like it.

Melanie, thanks for your kind words. Keep us posted on the recipes you and your family like best. The recipes in book #2 are even better! Stay tuned…

8. Colleen says:

There is an awesome recipe on Allrecipes.com for a quinoa tabbouleh that is out of this world!

9. Trish says:

Wow, what a creative way to serve quinoa. I would have never thought about having it for breakfast. I have a container of cooked quinoa sitting in my fridge…perhaps I’ll give it a go tomorrow morning. Thank you!

10. Sherri says:

I would never of thought to have quinoa for breakfast. I have to give it a try, I serve it at dinner as an alternative to rice.

11. Jackie Youn says:

I would love to eat this! However, Korea doesn’t import quinoa so I’m stuck without it. Boo.

12. Rachel says:

Yes I saw this recipe and am eager to try it! thank you.

13. I too love Quinoa for breakfast or any time of the day. It is a nice substitute for standard grains. It also soaks up other flavors and seasonings so nicely.

14. You don’t have to worry too much about the high carbs in Quinoa because it is not really a grain-it is a nut. It has lots of fiber and
    protein. I’m type 2 diabetic and I use it a lot as it really keeps your blood
    sugar low and steady, and by addings nuts and fruit it makes a good breakfast.

15. Teresa says:

Heard you talking about this recipe on the “Nuts” podcast today, so I am making it tonight for my breakfast tomorrow morn. I was excited to see I actually had all the ingredients on hand. Woo hoo! Can’t wait to taste it. I have been getting bored of oatmeal:)