According to today’s Boston Globe, there have only been four dry days since June 5th. Translation: It’s raining, it’s pouring, and The Meal Makeover Moms are getting pretty tired of all the gray days. Determined not to let a month of abysmal weather get in the way of back-yard BBQs, we decided to devote this week’s Cooking with the Moms podcast to kebabs on the grill.
Our first recipe for Very Veggie Kebabs provides a sure-fire way to get kids more excited about eating their vegetables. Though we call for bell peppers, mushrooms, and zucchini, you could certainly substitute with other produce including onions, potatoes, pineapple, or summer squash.
Very Veggie Kebabs
Makes 4 Servings
- 2 medium zucchini (about 7 ounces each), sliced into ½-inch rounds
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 small orange bell pepper, cut into 2-inch pieces
- One 12-ounce package button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Thread the vegetables onto 2 to 4 metal skewers in any order that you like. Place on a work surface, and brush evenly with the oil and season with the salt and a few cranks of the pepper.
2. Preheat the grill to medium. Place the kebabs on the grill, cover, and cook for 10 minutes (check the kebabs at 8 minutes and turn over if the bell peppers are beginning to burn on the edges). Flip and cook an additional 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and slightly browned.
The second recipe on our show features lean top sirloin steak and a super flavorful pineapple salsa. Did you know there are 29 cuts of beef that meet the government labeling guidelines for lean? This dish is packed with big flavors and perfect for any family cookout.
Hoisin BBQ Kebabs with Pineapple Salsa
Makes 4 to 5 Servings
- 1 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 ¼ pounds boneless beef top sirloin steak, cut 1-inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt, optional
1. Combine the pineapple, bell pepper, cucumber, vinegar, and honey in a bowl and place in the refrigerator to keep cool.
2. Combine the ketchup and hoisin sauce in another bowl. Cut the beef steak into 1-inch pieces and thread evenly onto 2 to 4 metal skewers. Season kabobs evenly with the pepper and salt as desired.
3. Preheat the grill to medium. Brush half the ketchup mixture on one side of the kebabs. Place the kebabs, ketchup side down, on the grill. Brush the remaining sauce on top of the meat. Cover and cook for 4 minutes. Flip the kebabs and cook another 4 to 5 minutes, or until the meat is cooked to your liking. Medium rare = 145°F / Medium = 160°F
4. Serve with the pineapple salsa on the side.
If you have a favorite recipe or grilling technique you’d like to share, feel free to post a comment here on our blog.