Imagine a dinner that costs less than seven dollars for a family of four! Talk about budget busting meals. In this week’s Cooking with the Moms podcast, we share seven nutritious, delicious, cost-cutting dishes that you and your family are sure to love. Our first recipe for Ravioli & Chard Lasagna is easy, kid friendly, and costs just $1.75 per serving. The other recipes include Potato Ole Omelet, Vegetable Garden Tofu Pie, Corny Salmon Cakes, Chicken & Broccoli Casserole, Slow Cooked BBQ Beef, and Tuscan Minestrone Soup. You can find them under the Recipes section of our main site or on Life Script, a women’s wellness website. We are pleased to announce that as of earlier this week, we are Life Script’s official new Family Nutrition Experts, so we hope you’ll visit us there from time to time!
The day we recorded this podcast, Janice happened to have some leftover mashed potatoes and steak in her fridge. For lunch, we decided to create a new recipe which we’re calling, Meat ‘n Potato Bites. We talked about these yummy little bites during the show because they cost little to make — just $2.64 for the entire recipe — and our kids gobbled them up!
Meat ‘n Potato Bites
Makes 4 Servings (about 16 “bites”)
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped leftover cooked steak
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1. In a bowl, mix together the mashed potatoes, egg, flour, baking powder, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Gently stir in the steak and peas.
2. Heat half the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
3. Add about half the potato mixture to the skillet in rounded tablespoons. Flatten gently with the back of a spoon. Cook 4 minutes, flip the potato bites, flatten again using a spoon or spatula, and cook an additional 4 minutes until crispy and brown. Repeat with the remaining oil and potato mixture.